Love burgers and tacos, but hate the extra carbs from the rolls or tortillas? Maybe you are looking for a meat free alternative to these favorites? Well look no further because these Mexican Black Bean Burgers are just the ticket! In my continued effort to create a healthier home and lifestyle for my family, I have worked to remove much of the meat and gluten from our diets. We haven’t gone vegetarian, just relied more on beans and eggs to get our daily protein. Beans are amazing and come in numerous varieties! They are very cost effective and offer high fiber content in addition to the high levels of protein.
As I was searching for a selection of recipes to inspire me, I came across a basic Black Bean Burger recipe that caught my eye. I made them for dinner, modifying the basic recipe to accommodate my family’s tastes. They were a HUGE hit, even with my pickiest kid, and are now a rotating part of our dinner meal plan. They take a few minutes to make, but these patties can be made ahead and frozen (yep, I tested it). This makes the burgers perfect for a busy weeknight and they can be topped to fit your family’s tastes. I have included my take on the recipe for you to try, but feel free to garnish these burgers creatively and share your topping ideas below!
This recipe doubles nicely without any modifications needed. If you are freezing them, layer the uncooked burgers, using sheets of parchment paper to separate the burgers. Place the layers in a freezer zipper storage bag, and freeze up to 6 months. Thaw the burgers and cook using the directions below.
Note: I hand grate all of my cheese these days. What’s the difference? Read more about that here.
Mexican Black Bean Burgers
Makes: 4 patties
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
1 small onion, diced (the smaller the dice, the more they blend into the patty for picky kids)
5 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 tsp. minced garlic from a jar, or 2 cloves if fresh
1 egg, beaten
1 Tbsp. hot sauce
2 cans of rinsed and drained black beans (I patted them dry with a paper towel after rinsing)
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, optional
1 Tbsp. taco seasoning, and additional taco seasoning for sprinkling on patties *
Chopped Lettuce or raw Spinach
Onions, regular or green onion
Freshly grated Cheddar or Mexican cheese
1. Cook onion and garlic in 2 Tbsp. of olive oil, until caramelized. They should be lightly browned and soft.
2. In a mixing bowl, mash the black beans, using a potato masher then fork, until they are broken down and mostly mashed. Add the egg and onion mix, stirring well to blend. Stir in the cilantro, taco seasoning, and hot sauce.
3. Lay a piece of Parchment paper or a pastry cloth out on your work surface, and liberally sprinkle with flour. Divide the beans into 4 equal sections, and shape them into patties. Lay the patties on the parchment paper and sprinkle with taco seasoning. Flip the patties over, and sprinkle again with taco seasoning. The flour helps you get a nice browning on each side of the patties when you cook them.
4. Add the remaining 3 Tbsp. of olive oil to a large skillet and heat the oil over medium high heat. When the oil is hot and coating the bottom of the pan, add the patties. Cook on each side for about 5 minutes, or until nicely browned and heated through.
5. While the patties are browning, spread a large spoonful of guacamole on each plate, so that it is about the size of a patty. When the bean patties are done, place on top of the guacamole and add your toppings.
*I use Penzeys Taco Seasoning. I love the freshness and flavor in all their spices, and am lucky enough to have a store near me!
Leave a comment below with your favorite Black Bean Burger toppings!
Be sure to sign up for newsletters so that you don’t miss any recipes, DIY projects, and more! As always, we hate SPAM and never share your information.