Put a new spin on an old classic with this Cheddar Ale Cheese Spread! Whether you are making a party appetizer, or you’re like my family and love cheese and crackers for snacks, this is the recipe for you! It’s quick and easy to make, requires no cooking, and can be made a day or two ahead of time if you are making it for a party. Try substituting other cheddar cheeses until you find your perfect blend!
Cheddar Ale Cheese Spread
Prep time: 20 minutes
Makes: One (12 oz.) bowl or 2 cheese balls
- 10-12 oz. Irish Cheddar cheeses (I use a combination of 2 or 3 Kerrygold cheeses, such as Reserve Cheddar, Dubliner, and Skellig)
- 8 oz. block of cream cheese, softened at room temperature
- 3 Tbsp. of Ale
- 1 tsp. Mustard Powder
- ¼ tsp. Cayenne Pepper
- Garlic salt to taste, (approx. ¼ to ½ tsp.)
- Place the cream cheese in a food processor. Grate the cheddar cheeses, and add to the food processor.
- Using the pulse button, start to break down the cheeses until they begin to blend. Add the Ale and the rest of the ingredients. Turn the food processor on, and let it run until the mixture is smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides and run for another 20-30 seconds.
- When it’- done, scoop the spread into an air-tight container and let refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. This allows the cheese spread to regain firmness and the flavors to blend nicely. Store in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
Making a Cheese Ball:
When you are done blending the spread, divide the cheese spread in half, and place each half on a piece of plastic wrap instead of in a bowl. Use the plastic wrap to wrap up the cheese, and then shape it roughly into a ball. It doesn’t have to be perfect, just a basic shape. Place in fridge to chill for at least two hours. Remove from refrigerator, and with the plastic still on, finish shaping into a ball. You can use the counter to roll it. Serve with crackers on a plate, or roll in minced pecans to add a level of flavor and flair!
Be sure to sign up to receive our newsletter so you don’t miss out on recipes, articles and DIY projects! As always, we hate SPAM and never share your information!